westvirginiaCourtRecords.us is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.

CourtRecords.us is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by CourtRecords.us for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. CourtRecords.us cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by CourtRecords.us responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, CourtRecords.us will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

West Virginia Court Records

WestVirginiaCourtRecords.us is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on WestVirginiaCourtRecords.us are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are West Virginia Inmate Records?

West Virginia inmate records are files that detail arrest and sentence information on inmates detained in the state prisons, detention centers, county jails, and other detention facilities. Inmate records are collated by the West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation at the state level. At the county level, the sheriff’s offices generate inmate records. West Virginia inmates records include the following information:

  • Inmate ID number assigned by the Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation
  • First, middle and last names 
  • Date of birth 
  • Physical descriptors, including height, weight, and race
  • Crime charges 
  • Case number
  • Status
  • Mugshot
  • Sex
  • Location
  • Issuing agency
  • Prison term, including the booking and release date
  • Bail type and amount

According to the WV Code 29B - West Virginia Code, inmate records are available to the public. The West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation is the state repository for inmate records. The Division of Corrections manages access to inmate records and also provides an online database where interested persons may access these records. Also, records on inmates in county jails are available at the sheriff’s office in each county across the state.

How To Find An Inmate In West Virginia?

Individuals may locate inmates by querying either the West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation or the County Sheriff’s Office. The Division of Corrections provides regularly updated search portals where interested persons may search for inmates in West Virginia Regional Jails, Prisons, and County Jails. If no records are found at any of these facilities, check the Escapees and Absconders' search portal to find out if the inmate escaped from prison.

Note that these search tools do not include information on juvenile inmates. For information on juvenile inmates, contact the Juvenile Facilities and Reporting Centers.

To find inmates detained in a county or city jail, contact the sheriff’s office in the county of conviction. In most counties, the sheriff’s website has a database of jail inmate information where the public may search for an inmate. For instance, interested persons may find information on Jefferson county inmates on the Jefferson County Inmate Roster.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In West Virginia?

Individuals may use the inmate locator on the Federal Bureau of Prisons(BOP) website to locate an inmate under federal jurisdiction in any of the six federal facilities in West Virginia. The BOP portal maintains information on federal inmates detained from 1982 to date. Also, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) maintains federal inmate information dated from 1870 and 1981.

To use the inmate locator, individuals may search with the federal inmate’s name or with a registration number. For a name-based search, complete the required fields on the inmate’s first, middle, and last name. The other fields, including age, sex, and race, may also be filled for more specific search results on inmates.

For a number-based search, interested persons are required to provide any of the following numbers: 

  • Department of Corrections (DCDC) number 
  • Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) number
  • Bureau of Prisons (BOP) register number
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) number 

Note that the result of a number-based search is more specific as numbers are unique to inmates.

How Do I Find Inmate Records In West Virginia?

Interested persons may retrieve inmate information free of charge by using any of the search portals provided on the West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation website. Here, individuals may search using the West Virginia Regional Jails, Prisons, and County Jails search portals. 

To use the Regional Jail search portal, provide the inmate’s full or partial last name. Note that the first name is not compulsory.

The Prison search portal provides two search options, including the Offender ID (OID) Number and the first and last name. Requestors may use either of both options.  

To use the County Jail search portal, select a county, and search accordingly. 

The search results on the inmate of interest can be printed or viewed online on the search result page. The result page offers basic information on the inmate, including booking information, physical definers, and charges. Note that the information derived from the search portals may not pass as certified copies. Hence, persons interested in certified copies may make inquiries or send a written request to:

1409 Greenbrier Street, 

Charleston, WV 25311

Phone: (304) 558–2036

Note that a nominal fee may be charged for processing the request. 

For county jail inmate records, requestors may reach out to the Jail Administrator or the County Sheriff in any of the state’s county or city jails. For instance, requestors may obtain inmate records of persons detained at the Greenbrier County Jail by contacting the County Sheriff office at:

206 N Court St, Lewisburg, 

WV 24901, United States

Phone: 304–647–6634 

For a full list of West Virginia Sheriffs’ contact details, visit the West Virginia Sheriff association website.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple record(s). To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In West Virginia?

The West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation provides an avenue for interested persons to send money to inmates’ trust fund accounts. Payments may be made using the ConnectNetwork.com or Jailatm.com platforms. 

The ConnectNetwork payment portal allows payments with credit cards (MasterCard and Visa). Use any of these methods to make payments:

  • Pay Online: Use either the ConnectNetwork mobile app (Andriod or iOS) or website to complete payments. First, create an account or sign in to an existing account for ConnectNetwork. Then, select the inmate or service of interest and provide the necessary details. 
  • Phone: For phone payments, there is an automated voice messaging system that provides step-by-step guidelines on making payments. Place a call to (888) 988–4768 or contact the customer care at (877) 650–4249 for more information. The information required includes:
    • An accurate account number
    • Name of facility and inmate
    • Payment information
    • Facility’s Site ID which is 179
  • Kiosk: At the kiosk located in the facility visitation area, courthouses, government, or probation offices, interested persons may conveniently make deposits into an inmate’s account. Payment with cash, debit, or credit cards, are permitted. Paying at a kiosk is similar to using an ATM.
  • Mail: Make payments by mail by completing the Trust Fund deposit slip and following the instructions therein. 

Each county has a unique payment method. However, most counties enable payments at the jail lobby kiosks through cash deposits and electronic payments. To get details on making payments into an inmate’s account in county jails, contact the county sheriff in the county where the inmate is detained. For a full list of West Virginia Sheriffs’ contact details, visit the West Virginia Sheriff’s Association website.

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!